Wednesday, 1 July 2009

Checking on the Robins

Here are the robins as of Monday:


mon june 29


mon june 29



Can you spot the mama??

SPOT THE MAMA june 29

I checked on the birds again yesterday (Tuesday) and all was fine. They looked pretty much the same as monday, so I didn't take a picture. I did manage to give the potatoes lots of water though before mama returned.

However this morning I went to check on them and I was very sad to see that there were only 3 babies in the nest. :( I have no idea what happened... cat? fox? natural death? but one is missing. Mother Robin flew straight back to the nest when she saw me, and seemed more protective than usual, so I am guessing a predator in the night or wee hours of the morning. The babies are starting to grow pin feathers already, so that is great.

In doing a bit of reading on British Robins with the children, it seems they normally nest at the end of March and have their babies grown and gone by end of May. So for some reason, this mother has had her brood late in the season.

No comments: